Thursday, October 27, 2011

Confession 4: Eating is not just a social event for me

I recently read an article in the healthy eating/dieting/lose weight/eat only vegetables section of a magazine in which the author stated that eating alone is never a good idea when trying to eat smaller servings. I was offended on multiple levels by this. First of all, was this man (and I just assume it was a man as I can’t actually remember the author’s name) saying that it’s my destiny to be overweight because I’m single? And, secondly, does this person not realize that half the American population is single? What are we to do? Not eat? Well, I really don’t like that option. At all. So here are some things I’ve learned about eating/cooking alone.
1. Making pasta for one is harder than it looks.
I’m not really sure why this is, but almost every time I make pasta I find myself asking aloud, “Was I expecting an army?” I mean seriously, who exactly am I preparing food for? Noodles seem to expand in a way that is just amazing. The first time I finally got this quantity right I wanted to scream to the neighbors – or at the very least post on Facebook – that I am a pasta genius and have mastered the measurements. Cooking for one is a challenge but it can be mastered. [Martha Stewart has a section on her website with recipes for one person. I’ve not tried them but will soon. If you know of good recipes for one be sure to leave a comment below.]
2. Chicken is easier than beef.
I’ll never forget going to the butcher and asking for a quarter of a pound of ground beef (well, since I was living in Dublin at the time I actually asked for some amount of grams of mince, but that’s not really the point) and having him look at me like I was crazy and obviously metric conversion challenged. While my math skills are quite limited I did in fact know how much meat I wanted. He measured it out and then said to me, “This is what you said – you sure this is what you want?” I answered, “Exactly how much meat do you think I can eat? I’m one person.” This is the beauty of chicken. There is no measuring. If you’re cooking for one for the first time you should start with chicken.
3. Remind yourself while shopping – this is only for one, this is only for one.
My rationale regarding things like Oreo’s and boxes of Cheez-Its has been something like this: I live alone. I will be the only one eating this delicious, albeit horrible for me, treat. Regardless of when I finish this box of beautifulness I will have consumed the same amount of calories. Therefore, why not eat the entire gift from heaven in one setting. One day or over the course of two weeks it’s still just me eating it. This logic is flawed I know, but I haven’t really been able to spot where this thought process actually starts to break down.
4. Eating out is still an option.
I am amazed at how many people have never eaten in a restaurant alone. I had a conversation about this with a friend, who was single at the time, and had never eaten in a restaurant alone. He just couldn’t bring himself to do it I guess. So now every time I go out alone I feel the need to text him and let him know that I am eating in public at a table for one. It’s sort of fun, but it’s an art form.
A. Placement:
Don’t sit at the bar unless you are legitimately hoping someone will strike up a conversation. A small table for two, or one in this case, will work just fine. The four-top table with you all alone just looks sad.
B. Confidence:
Don’t mumble. Be confident when you say, “Just one.” No need looking sad and desperate or embarrassed for that matter. Every one eats – who cares who it’s with.
C. Chatting:
The wait staff really don’t care about your personal history or why you’re eating alone – um, I’m here on business I’m not actually a loser – yes, telling them this makes you seem much less of a loser. No, wait, it doesn’t. Just order your food and keep your conversation with the waiter/waitress to the same light banter you would if you were there with a group.
D. Reading:
Bring a magazine or a kindle but not a book. The magazine lays flat letting you read and eat at the same time. Reading a book requires one hand or elbow to be on the book at all times. So unless you’re eating a burger the magazine is the better option.
Bottom line – don’t eat cereal for every meal because you can’t be bothered to cook for one and don’t think that the drive thru is your only option for eating out. Be confident in who you are – a hungry, single person. Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through facebook and had to check it out. This one made me crack up, because as a single girl I always find it harder to cook for one! I love to cook, but would rather stick with frozen meals for myself because it is so much harder to cook for one than many...

    One thing I do though, eat out alone. Not ashamed at all. Single girls gotta eat too :o)

    ReplyDelete